Monday, June 30, 2014

Week #1 Update - Knives, Swords, Knees, and Captain America

So we have reached the beginning of week #2, and I have yet to keel over or cut off a limb, so therefore I will consider it a success. It has been a jam-packed ride, with constant classes and masterclasses. I’ve been meeting some great people, from fight masters to fellow classmates, who come from a variety of different backgrounds and skill levels.
The basis of my part of this workshop is that we are working toward passing our Skills Proficiency Tests (SPTs) in three different weapons: unarmed, rapier and dagger, and broadsword. You must pass three SPTs in order to achieve Actor Combatant status within the SAFD. Now these SPTs are not “certifications.” They are merely acknowledgements that you have completed 30 hours of training in a particular weapon, and successfully performed a fight scene for the public which has been adjudicated by a fight master. There are two types of passes: Basic and Recommended, basic being a general acknowledgement of skills, and recommended meaning that you are able to successful perform the weapon and act the scene. After all, we are actor combatants. Additionally, these SPTs are only good for three years before they have to be renewed.
Our days basically consist of four classes a day: the three weapons we test in, and then an additional class so we may gain hours toward other weapons. Last week was knife, this week will be quarterstaff, and the final week, we’re told, will be dedicated to working on our SPTs. Night classes vary. Tuesday, we did a class about acting within a fight, taught by Fight Director Christina Traister, choosing specific characters to embody as we performed neutral choreography. Wednesday was Captain America Shield, taught by NSCW Coordinator and Certified Teacher, H. Russ Brown. Yes, we learned how to punch shields as if we were Captain America. I wore my Captain America boxers and everything. I videoed the fight my partner and I eventually put together, so I will try to post it if I can. It was pretty epic. Thursday, we watched the Advanced Actor Combatants SPRS (Skills Proficiency Renewals), which I’ll discuss later. Friday was a class about the up and coming medium of motion capture, taught by Certified Teacher Andrew Ray (A Ray). We created characters physically, as A Ray instructed us on the process of a motion capture shoot. While it may not necessarily be something I’d want to pursue right off the bat, I’d never really heard about that area of stuntwork and acting before. All of the classes have been helping me think about more than just executing moves as I fight.
Of all of our regular classes, I’ve been having very different experiences with all of them. First off, I have found knife to be a fascinating weapon. I took one workshop in it last year, but it’s one of the weapons I have the least experience in. A Ray is also our teacher for knife, and has a very Zen approach to the weapon. I considered his class to be the most calming. Not exactly what you’d expect when you have a knife in your hand. From the first day, I’ve realized how much of an intimate weapon it is. If you think about, like we do here, in order to stab or cut someone, you have to get as close to them as possible. The weapon, an extension of us, is extremely short. The distance required to execute the style of the weapon is significantly reduced from that of any type of sword, and in relation to unarmed, you are literally cutting to the inside of a person, as opposed to hitting them on the surface. To quote A Ray, “It’s the one weapon that goes in and doesn’t come out the other side.” The movement, as I said before, was very Zen, so I venture to call this a very sensual weapon. These are just the musings of a first times student, so please feel free to discuss this with me further, as I’m always interested in dialogue.
Moving to swords, the contrast between rapier and dagger and broadsword makes for interesting transitions as we move from one to the other throughout the day. The first day with both weapons was an odd experience for me. Being that I’ve had more experience with broadsword, I figured I would slip into it rather smoothly. The opposite ended up being true, as I felt rather clunky and awkward as we went through the basics. On the reverse of that, I picked up rapier rather quickly the first day. However, as the week moved on, I found broadsword coming to me easier, and rapier requiring more thought. When it comes to these two weapons, the techniques to handle them are kind of the opposite of what you’d expect. You’d think a broadsword, what is considered a “heavy weapon,” would take more muscle. In actuality, the counterweight of the handle on a broadsword makes is flow rather nicely, and doesn’t take near as much effort to manipulate, as long as you stay relaxed and in control. Rapier, on the other hand, has been requiring a little more muscle to it in order to keep it in control. I like switching from one to the other. It keeps me on my toes. Also keeping me on my toes are Fight Master Scott Mann, my broadsword teacher, and Fight Master Michael Chin, my rapier and dagger teacher. I think it took me some time to adjust to Scott’s teaching style, and maybe that is why I struggled at first, but I’ve melded to his approach and am feeling strongest in this weapon at this point. He also has great stories from his history in stuntwork that help put what we’re doing into context in both film and theatre. I’d taken a R&D workshop from Fight Master Chin a few years ago, so I feel back into his methods fairly quick. He gave us a quick history in weapons our first day, which has helped me put weapons in historical context as we move forward in this workshop.
Lastly, unarmed has been quite an experience. I walked into this workshop feeling that this was my weakest weapon. I’ve never done it in a show, and any workshop I’ve taken, I’ve just felt a little awkward. I don’t come from a martial arts background, and I struggle when it comes to reacting to getting “hit,” probably because I’ve never actually been hit. Fight Master Dale Girard has been very good about teaching us techniques in a manner so that we know what we would be trying to do martially, and then how we are adjusting that so that we can do it theatrically without getting hurt. What I’ve noticed about myself, especially in unarmed, is that I am a very footwork oriented person. If the feet aren’t working, nothing’s working. So in unarmed, I’ve been taking it very slow in order to correctly position myself so that the move can be executed without the audience seeing “the trick,” as Dale calls it, and I’ve been lucky to have great partners who are willing to work with my pace. I’m starting to pick it up quicker, though, as the class goes on. We’ve also moved onto contact hits, including punches and kicks, so at least I’m getting a little experience in being hit. I’m still struggling with reactions, so I brought this to Dale, and he’s promised that we will be breaking those down as we start moving on. We’ll be doing falls and rolls later this week, so hopefully I can learn something that can later apply to dance as well.
As I stated before, Thursday we watched the AACW do their SPRs. These are students on the next level in this process. They have already acquired weapons through SPTs, and are working towards obtaining all 8 recognized weapons in the SAFD. They spent their first few days here learning the fights for their renewals. I’m glad we got the experience to watch that before we went into our process of learning our SPTs because it gave us an idea of what we were in for. SPRs are shorter that SPTs, and require less moves, so watching these fights got me both scared and excited for what was to come. All of the fights done that night were passed, but Fight Master Chin emphasized to us in class that there were several reasons why certain fights only got basic passes, such as bad partnering skills, high targeting, and other mistakes that should not be being made at the level the advanced students are supposed to be at. We’ve already started learning our choreography loosely some of our classes, with the fight masters infusing that learning experience into exercises. We were told today to start picking our partners for our SPTs, and I was able to find one who I’ve worked with well in the past here. Tyson is his name, and we’ve got an interesting ride ahead of us.
It’s been a struggle at times getting through this week, fighting through physical exhaustion, fatigue, and dehydration. I’ve also been experiencing a new type of injury I’ve never had before: knees. Around Friday, I started to feel an off twinge in my knee during knife class. By broadsword I was worried, so I asked to sit down. I didn’t want to be one of those people who ignores an injury only to further injure themselves because they didn’t take preventative measures. I was given ice, and examined by our First Aid Intern, Rachel Stubbs, and she told me my patella tendon was a little swollen. I got a knee brace, and was told to take small breaks during my classes to rest. It’s been a few days, and I’m still feeling it, though it does not feel worse. However, my other knee has been feeling the strain of compensation, so I’m babying both of them when I’m not in class. The worse part has been sitting out. I hate missing class, and it’s worse to sit there and try to absorb when you can’t do, especially in such a physical art form. It’s also difficult when you feel that sitting out makes you appear weak, and unable to handle the stresses of the art form. That being said, I’ve had an outpouring of support from the staff and my friends here. They understand this is a very difficult experience to get through, and they have all been there when it comes to nursing an injury. We fight over a stretch of about nine hours per day, and we do this six days a week for three weeks. I’ve never done workshops like this that are longer than two days. This is when your body will show itself. Today, one of the fight masters talked to me about this, and said that my knowing when to sit makes appear more smart than weak, so after that, I’m starting to feel a little bit better.

So after a day of rest yesterday, where I learned to crack whips from some friends, we’ve started on week two, and I’m ready to go. I’m making great friends, and picking up great bits of wisdom here and there about everything from Romeo and Juliet to Thai boxing. As H. Russ always says, EXCELSIOR!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment