Thursday, August 28, 2014

Senior Year Starts

The school year has started! Obviously, I’ve fallen off with blogging after Nationals, mostly because I grew distracted with upcoming preparations for the school year, as well as enjoying my last weeks of freedom before the start of senior year. Here’s a quick update: All three of my SPTs went very well, though I made sure to document how I felt about each one before and after in my personal journal. Overall, I had a feeling that Tyson and I definitely didn’t fail any of them. About a week after we left, the results for the Basic workshop were posted on our SAFD profiles, and… I passed all three! Basic passes for all three of the weapons, which in my mind is a great place for me to start as I continue this journey as a combatant. After renewing my membership, which I will do once I acquire the funds, I will be officially considered an Actor Combatant. Excuse me while I cartwheel in excitement…
Ok, I’m back. Anyway, post-Nationals I went home feeling sad about having to leave such a loving and stimulating environment. I always have fear when I leave experiences like this that I will lose the magic and feeling of love that I have for the art form, but here I am over a month later and I’m still going strong. I made several decisions following Nationals concerning what I wanted to focus on my last year hear at BW. I choose to drop my music minor, which was a very tough decision, and instead focus on moving as much as possible. I picked up another dance class, I’m finding places for study martial arts in the area, I want to take an anatomy class next semester, and overall I just wanted to focus on my projects more than an overwhelming amount of schoolwork.   I couldn’t be happier with the decision.
As I start up this semester, I have quite a few opportunities coming up to continue to practice stage combat, the first one obviously being working on my senior capstone project as a part of the Performance Ensemble devised piece. After auditions, it was decided that I would concentrate on my role as Fight Director for the piece, as opposed to taking on a role within it. Anjanette Hall and Les Hunter have gathered together a fantastic group, and I can’t wait to start. Additionally, I am TAing for the Stage Combat class BW is offering this semester, assisting Dusten Welch, our choreographer from Henry IV and Romeo and Juliet and someone who has been very helpful to me throughout my journey these past few years. Our first class was yesterday, and I’m beyond excited to work with these great people and work with our brand new weapons from Rouge Steel! Also, I’m trying to find opportunities to shadow choreographers in the area. A full plate, and that’s not even the half of it!

So there’s a quick update. I plan on exploring some of the topics I’ve mentioned before soon, as well as talk a little bit more about the last weeks of Nationals before I delve into details of Performance Ensemble. Thanks for reading! Fight on J

No comments:

Post a Comment